description

A generation meant to live victoriously with a destiny filled with purpose...


Monday 23 June 2014

My True Heroes

Heroes. As humans, we try to idolize one another to model our behavior to the other. We immortalize people for their inspirational traits. We write legends, songs, poetry about their wondrous character. It's human nature. We all have heroes.

When I was younger, I get frequent questions from adults asking, "Who is your role model?" I would name a few musicians, worship leaders, athletes, and a couple elementary school teachers. And because I was that "good kid", I was obliged to name my parents as my heroes to maintain that favorable image. However, recent stories and personal reflection shows that my parents are TRULY my heroes. Yes, they top my list of heroes (even Ricardo Kaka and Joel Osteen would have to follow behind).

My parents are match-made in heaven. My mom's a strong-willed woman while my dad has a softer approach. Their personalities compliment each other (yes, here's one tip concerning finding the right spouse, but that's another point for another time).

My mom's sense of practicality is her strength. She has everything planned out and will make sure things go according to plan. She's a principal in my old high school. For the past decade, she has been responsible for planning out what the school's schedule would be like. Administratively, my mom is the best of the best. Although equally strong in administrative work, my dad's strength also shines on the spiritual teaching side. He's an associate pastor in my church in Indonesia. Just yesterday, I had the privilege of hearing him preach in the Indonesian church here in Toronto.

Both of my parents make good teachers. That's probably why all four of us are pressured to perform well academically. But most importantly, both of my parents are deeply rooted in the principles of the Word. The foundation of how they build our family is solely based on God. I can't tell you of the amount of pressure my parents faced because of their position as authorities in their respective responsibilities. It takes a supernatural power to build an iron nerve to fend off those negativity they encountered. And that is exactly how they overcame the problems. Hebrews 12:2 says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." [NIV] My parents are my heroes, not only because of what they do, but because of who they credit their deeds to. Jesus is the ultimate hero for us all, and this is something my parents would never stop reminding us children. Despite their quirks and imperfection, I still love and respect them very much. Mom... Dad... you are truly my hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment